Things to see in Stonyford, California
6 Things to see when you’re in the area of Stonyford
There was a post I came across on Facebook that featured a few photos looking out across some barren fields on the west side of Colusa County. The post said something like, “If you’ve never been to Stonyford, you’re not missing anything.”
My heart sank at the thought… Not many people know about the vast country side, the rich history, the reservoirs, wildflowers and wildlife that call this place home. The hunting, the fishing, the camping, OHV trails, hot springs and picturesque views with each change of seasons.
So I set out to find a few things to add to your to-do list, the next time you find yourself in the rolling hillsides of Stonyford. Trust that there’s a ton more to see and do, but here’s just a few to get you started!
- Stonyford Museum : (April through October) Currently they are open 2nd and 4th Sundays, 1 to 4 p.m., April thru October
2nd Sunday only, November thru March
- Stonyford Catholic Church: St. Mary of the Mountain Mission : (All year) Private tours are availalbe by contacting the Stonyford Museum which happens to sit just a block north of the church. Mass is Saturdays at 9am.
- East Park Reservoir: (April through October) This historic reservoir dates back to 1908! Experience camping, fishing, boating, wildlife viewing and many more recreational things to do here.
- Stonyford Rodeo: (May) First weekend in May
- Bear Valley Wildflower Meadows: (March through April) Blog post – Spring time around March and April is the best time to cruise through the country side for a magical view of the meadows and beyond.
- Mendocino National Forest and recreation area : (All year) Anytime is good time to visit the forest area and recreation facilities here. There are hundreds of miles of trails and campgrounds to explore.
- Wilbur Hot Springs : (All year) Take a scenic route to the natural hot springs that has been a destination for medicinal uses since the 1800’s.
If you’ve experienced any of these areas and would like to send in your review, please feel free to reach out and let us know what you thought!!